Raewyn Turner’s interdisciplinary work is concerned with cross-sensory perception and the uncharted territories of the senses. Her works have been shown in numerous national and international exhibitions including Museum of Contemporary Art, LA, Parque de las Ciencias, Granada, Spain, 11th Prague Quadrennial of Scenography and Theatre Architecture 2007,Prumyslovy Palace, Prague, Argentina, Georges Pompidou Center, Te Papa Museum, and Academy of Fine Arts, New Zealand.
She has worked with olfaction since 1999 and in collaboration with Dr Richard Newcomb, molecular biologist, NZ. In 2011 she was recipient of a Fulbright Travel Grant for an artists residency at Monell Chemical Senses Center, Philadelphia. Her works include videos, interactive installations, performances, exhibitions and large scale international performance in theatres and stadiums, working as a concept and design artist and lighting designer in collaborations with musicians, orchestras and choreographers.
Abbreviated CV below
Contact: mailto: email@example.com
I was born in Hawkes Bay, number 3 , I have 3 brothers and 3 sisters. I rode horses over hills and wanted to be a farmer or a vet until the age of 13 when art took over. I studied 4 years at Elam School of Fine Arts, University of Auckland majoring in painting and then swapped my pigment palette for one of glorious coloured light integrated with contemporary music performances by fellow artists Split Enz in Australia, UK, USA from 1975 until 1983. Worked with contemporary theatre and dance performance, jazz, and symphony orchestras which led to working with video, media and olfaction.
Favourites: colour:BLUE, chocolate, music, scientific theory, permaculture, food gardens, yoga, running, bike riding, hand sewing, insect navigation, astronomy
I’m training myself to see into the ultraviolet spectrum.
I am privileged with 4 gorgeous sons.
· See Nothing : truth/lie dichotomy. Percy Thomson Gallery. Curator Roger Morris
· Surface & Beneath : Peter Panyoczki & Raewyn Turner The Vivian Gallery
· 2017 Synaesthesia: What Taste is the Colour Blue ? Building Bridges Art Exchange, sponsored by the International Association of Synaethetes, Artists, and Scientists, and in partnership with Art Sci Gallery at UCLA http://artsci.ucla.edu/node/1356
· Millennium Film Journal, USA. Martin Rumsby. PRISONER OF THE WORLD www.mfj-onlineorg
· Fallible Raewyn Turner & Brian Harris. Not Just Flower Show The Vivian Gallery. Opening presentation.
· Presentation: The Poetic Condition, The Shutter Room, Whangarei curator sonjavank.com/poetic. Thanks to funding from: stroom.nl
· Downwind, Fallible, Raewyn Turner & Brian Harris :1st Synesthesia Art Exhibition and Forum in China Beijing, Xu Zhou, Hang Zhou and Guang Zhou http://www.artecitta.es/Sinestesiasurveychina.htm
· ResidencyCEINT Centre for Environmental Implications of Nano Technology Science Centre Duke University, Durham, Raleighhttp://www.ceint.duke.edu/
· Stroke: no hands like mine Raewyn Turner & Brian Harris Exhibited in 25th Annual Wallace Art Awards 2016 http://wallaceartstrust.org.nz/
· SMOTE Raewyn Turner & Brian Harris. installation group exhibition It sounds like I missed out on a lot while standing in the middle of the cloud Ramp Gallery, Wintec, Waikato 2 Jun – 24 Jun http://www.rampgallery.co.nz/?p=3802
· Presentation: Downwind Raewyn Turner & Brian Harris. ThirdCode Biology Conference organizedby Urbino University in collaborationwith the Code Biology SocietyDepartment of Pure and Applied Sciences, May 24-28 2016. http://www.codebiology.org/conferences/Urbino2016/
· Mapping Emotional words to fragrances and flavours workshop and pre-workshop event Raewyn Turner & Brian Harris. Aromatope May 21-23, 2016 in Urbino and Macerata Feltria, Italy. The workshop is organized as part of the Code Biology conference in Urbino
· ‘Byte in the land’ workshop Raewyn Turner & Brian Harris. Ecologies of Intimacy, Sensing Place, Field House, Brighton, UK. Magda Tyżlik-Carver, University Sussex and Fabrica, Brighton https://ecologiesofintimacy.wordpress.com/2016/07/04/sensing-place-workshop-in-photos/
· S.NET2015STEEP#1 video work presented Conference-From nanotechnology to emerging technologies; Towards a global responsibility. The Society for the Study of Nanoscience and Emerging Technologies (S.NET), Montreal, Canada Oct http://www.thesnet.net/
· STEEP #1 Raewyn Turner & Maryse de la Giroday . Video work featured on CEINT Centre for Environmental Implications of Nanotechnology http://www.ceint.duke.edu/ archived at http://www.ceint.duke.edu/ceint_news; featured on Duke Civil and Environmental Engineering website http://cee.duke.edu/news/60268; Pratt School of Engineering http://pratt.duke.edu/news/digital-poetry-gold-nanoparticle; Frogheart blog: Commentary about nanotech, science policy and communication, society, and the arts http://www.frogheart.ca/?p=19506
·The Vivian Gallery All That Glitters. STEEP lightbox works. Raewyn Turner & Brian Harris
· ISEA 2015. Disruption. 21st International Symposium on Electronic Art. Vancouver, Canada, August, STEEP #1 Video work and Paper Presentation Raewyn Turner & Maryse de la Girodayhttp://isea2015.org/
· Presentation Downwind paper at V Congreso International de Sinestesia, Ciencia Y Arte 2015. Andalucia, Spain http://www.artecitta.es/Vcongreso/
· ‘Fallible’ Installation. Raewyn Turner & Brian Harris. Teknesyne , V Congreso International de Sinestesia, Ciencia Y Arte 2015. Andalucia, Spainhttp://www.artecitta.es/Vcongreso/
· AN IDEALIFE. Installation. Remember the Peacemakers. Thistle Hall. April 2015. Wellington, NZ
· Visiting Scholar Seminar Creating IDEALIFE. The Dunedin School of Art, Otago Polytechnichttp://www.thistlehall.org.nz/projects/ww100.html
· Artist Adjunct , Postgraduate Workshop ‘Tasting Emotional Words ‘ The Dunedin School of Art, Otago Polytechnic
· The Vivian Gallery The Assemblage Show, Sugar DispensersRaewyn Turner & Brian Harris
Installation Edible Matters,Tad Gallery,Texas http://www.tadgallery.org/?page_id=1521
Lucky perfume and dispensers Raewyn Turner & Brian Harris. Somatic Symposium Wellington, NZ
Tools of the Trade Paul Nache gallery, Gisbourne, NZ
Estuary Arts. 'If Ever I did not share this value with you' Raewyn Turner & Brian Harris.
Rumsby, Martin. Genres of New Zealand Experimental Film online at www.academia.edu
Perfume: SNATCH Sisters of Perpetual Resistance exhibition 'Is Your Muff Big Enough?' London, UK http://www.misspokeno.com
Shoebox Video: Take My Shoes #1 solo exhibition Development AIR, Auckland NZ http://www.developmentair.org.nz/page5/page1/page1.html
Art in The Dark, Auckland, The sky fell down while we stepped sideways Raewyn Turner & Brian Harris http://artinthedark.co.nz/2013-artists/raewyn-turner-brian-harris
Downwind ISEA public program Resistance is Futile: Curatorial Theme: : Ecologies and Technologies. http://www.isea2013.org/isea2013
Grant from Creative New Zealand towards creating Downwind for exhibition ISEA public program Resistance is Futile
- Lecture Presentation Re/sense a cross discipline, cross continent, Cross sensory collaboration with Diana Burgoye. Symbiosis Conference, Real de Monte, Mexico
- 2012 Lucky expanded cinema. Art in the Dark, Auckland
- 2012 Hope Lost Signing Dance Performance. InterACT Disability Festival, Corbans estate, Auckland
- 2012 Fragrant Earth 2012. Raewyn Turner & Brian Harris, Artweek at Satellite Gallery, Auckland. http://www.satellitegallery.co.nz/exhibition-archive/274-bgmerc-breathinggrowingmovingengagingreactingchanging.html
- 2012 Downwind. First Prize 2012 Art sculpture Awards.The Trusts, Waitakere
- 2012 Downwind. Raewyn Turner & Brian Harris, Satellite Gallery Welcome Exhibition
- 2012 'World Tree' featured on the cover of Digital Creativity (Vol 23 No 2) on the theme "Collaboration and Community".
- 2012 New Zealand experimental film, Martin Rumsby. ILLUSIONS
- 2012 Aroma Jockey, Sencity music event, Auckland, New Zealand smell, taste, see and feel the music
- 2012 Stave Oh That I Had 'High Voltage') Manifesta 9 parrellel event http://www.paralleleventsm9.eu/ 'De Mijlpaal' (Milestone) Art Gallery, Belgium
- 2012 Stave Oh That I Had MuVi3 Fourth International Synaesthesia: Science & Art, Book and DVD muvi-visualmusic.tumblr.com/
- 2011 Expanding Documentary XIIIth Biennial Conference Auckland University of Technology: Presentation and screening Take My Shoes
- 2011 Artists Residency at the Monell Chemical Senses Center, Philadelphia, USA www.monell.org
- 2011 Presentation of Creative Projects to Science community, Monell, USA
- 2011 Olfaction: from Anatomy to Art Turner and Reed, series of lectures to students Springside Chestnut Hill Academy in Philadelphia. www.sch.org
- 2011 Fulbright Travel Award, artist residency with Monell Chemical Senses Center, USA
- 2011 Presentation Govett-Brewster, New Plymouth SCIENCE MEETS ART Dr Richard Newcomb (Plant and Food Research, University of Auckland) and artist Raewyn Turner
- 2011 Aroma Jockey : Sencity music event in New Zealand smell, taste, see and feel the music
- 2011 ReSense New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts, Then, Now, When. NZAFA summer art show
- 2011 SCANZ 2011: Eco Sapiens —International Artists Residency, Selected Creative Residency Project: PLUME 4000 Varieties of Orange Collaboration with Brian Harris. . Presentation Govett- Brewster Gallery, New Plymouth
- 2010 Tasting the Digital, Internettraces: Experimental Integrated Data Work. Collaboration with Mary Griffiths,Australia. Performance at Original Orifice : Where Art Collides, Auckland, March
- 2010 Fragrant Earth, Environmental Art Installation, Commission Art in The Woolshed, Commissioned by Tawharanui Open Sanctuary
- 2010 Co-host Multisensory Perception online discussion,YASMIN, moderated list for art-science-technology interactions around the Mediterranean Rim
- 2010 ReSense exhibition at MIC Toi Rerehiko, Auckland, NZ. Collaboration with Diana Burgoyne, Canada
- 2009-2010 PLUME Art + Science Collaboration. 1st stage funding grant Creative New Zealand, Ministry of Research, Science & Art Collaboration Raewyn Turner & Dr. Richard Newcomb, molecular biologist
- 2010 Peer Reviewer ICDVRAT/ArtAbilitation 2010: Helping Through Art, 2010. , http://www.icdvrat.reading.ac.uk
- 2009 Re/Sense Collaboration with Diana Burgoyne, Co-Production with the Banff New Media Institute and Artist Residency, Banff and Vancouver.
- 2009 Re/Sense : MuVi at the Parque de las Ciencias , Third international Congress on Synaesthesia, Science and Art,Granada, Spain 2009 (CNZ travel grant support)\
- 2008 Presentation Pick Up Styx, in Corporeal Interfaces (Chair: Margaret Tan) the academic conference at ISEA2008 in Singapore.
- 2007 Smell Research : Geneva, Prague, London, Versailles. Trip supported by CNZ and CTL at AUT2007
- 2007 Indications and A Translation of Music into Chocolate, NZ National Exhibit of Performance Art/Design, PG07,11th Prague Quadrennial of Scenography and Theatre Architecture 2007,Prumyslovy Palace, Prague.
- 2006 International Artist Residency SCANZ art, technology and culture event, WITT, New Plymouth, NZ
- 2006 ‘World Tree ‘ Rencontres Internationales Paris/Berlin
- 2006 Visiting Lecturer –Multidisciplinary Artist- 5100 3 week intensive Multidisciplinary Course, Unitec
- 2005 Residency 4th CVS Summer School on Animal Navigation and Robotics, Centre for Visual Sciences
- 2004 Digital Artist in Residence, Screen and Media, University of Waikato, New Zealand
- 2004 Screen Innovation Grant towards creating experimental documentary, Lucky. Creative NZ
- 2004 NZ Film Festival, Homegrown Documentary, ‘peoplesheep’
- 2002 – 2005 Board Member, Moving Image Centre MiC, Auckland
- 2003 'On Smell', the third issue of Performance Research, Vol.8, Nos.1-4, Performance Research, Dartington College of Arts, UK, “Example Olfactory Translations and Interpretations”
- 2002 APRA Audio Visual Commission: Video interpretation of Neil Finn’s song ‘Turn and Run’ which opened APRA Silver Scroll Music Awards, Auckland
- 2002 The Banff Centre ‘Up Front and Personal’ Thematic Residency, Media Visual Arts, Banff, Canada.
- 2002 Conceptual Artist Designer/operator Four Senses Multisensory Concerts. Aotea Youth Symphony Orchestra, 1999, Avondale College Theatre, Auckland,2002 Dorothy Winstone theatre.
- 2002 Artist Residency ‘Up Front and Personal’, Media Visual Arts, The Banff Centre Banff, Canada. Supported by The Banff Centre, the Tindall Foundation
- 2000 Designer APRA Silver Scroll Anniversary Music Awards : Multisensory environment of video, light, sound, smell.
- 2000 Artist Residency Alchemy International Masterclass for New Media Artists Australian Network for Art and Technology ( ANAT)
- 2000 MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY ART LOS ANGELES, November. Freewaves 7th Festival of Experimental Media. Los Angeles. Video:Cycle Engines
- 1997 ENZSO, Designed and Directed Lumia Australia. Adelaide Symphony Orchestra,Youth Choir,Eddie Rayner,Split Enz
- 1996 ENZSO, Designed and Directed Lumia New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, Youth Choir, Eddie Rayner, Split Enz, Poet Sam Hunt
- 1975-1983 Stage Lighting, Stage Set Designer, Lighting Director., Lighting Operator for Split Enz — Toured extensively Australia, New Zealand, Britain, Europe, USA, Canada. Awarded Gold, Silver, Platinum albums A&M
- Raewyn Turner Full CV
- Lecture Presentation: Symbiosis Conference, Real de Monte, Mexico. Re/sense a Cross discipline, Cross continent, Cross sensory collaboration, Raewyn Turner and Diana Burgoye via Skype.
- 'World Tree' featured on the cover of Digital Creativity (Vol 23 No 2) on the theme "Collaboration and Community".
- Peer Reviewer. HCI International 2013 Conference on Human-Computer Interaction
- ILLUSIONS. New Zealand Experimental Film, Martin Rumsby.
- Lucky expanded cinema. Art in the Dark, Auckland
- Hope Lost Signing Dance. Performance. InterACT Disability Festival, Corbans estate, Auckland
- Don't Look The Sky Is Violet. Installation at InterACT Disability Festival, Corbans estate, Auckland http://artsaccess.org.nz/whats-new/mojo-mathers-to-open-interact-2012
- Fragrant Earth 2012. Raewyn Turner & Brian Harris, Artweek at Satellite Gallery, Auckland.http://www.satellitegallery.co.nz/exhibition-archive/274-bgmerc-breathinggrowingmovingengagingreactingchanging.html
- Downwind. First Prize 2012 Art sculpture Awards.The Trusts, Waitakere
- Downwind. Raewyn Turner & Brian Harris, Satellite Gallery Welcome Exhibition
- Aroma Jockey, SENCITY music event, Auckland, New Zealand smell, taste, see and feel the music
- Stave Oh That I Had selected for 'High Voltage' (Dutch: Onder hoogspanning, Ger: Unter Spannung)Manifesta 9 http://manifesta.org/ parallel events (http://www.paralleleventsm9.eu/) 'De Mijlpaal' (Milestone) Art Gallery (www.demijlpaal.com)
- Stave Oh That I Had screened at MuVi3 Fourth International Synaesthesia: Science & Art.
- Stave Oh That I Had selected for DVD and Book MuVi3: International exhibition of video and moving image on synesthesia and visual music, Fourth International conference Synaesthesia: Science & Art, 9-12 February, Palacio de los Condes de Gabia (Granada, Spain) and Almeria University. http://muvi-visualmusic.tumblr.com/ http://muvi-visualmusic.tumblr.com/selected%20video
- Presentation and screening Take My Shoes: Expanding Documentary XIIIth Biennial Conference Auckland University of Technology
- Artists Residency at the Monell Chemical Senses Center, Philadelphia, USA www.monell.org
- Presentation of Creative Projects to Science community, Monell, USA
- Raewyn Turner and Dr Daniel Reed, Olfaction: from Anatomy to Art, series of lectures to students age 16 to 19 at Springside Chestnut Hill Academy in Philadelphia. www.sch.org
- Fulbright Travel Award, artist residency with Monell Chemical Senses Center, USA
- Raewyn Turner and Dr Richard Newcomb, Presentation of PLUME Govett-Brewster, New Plymouth for SCIENCE MEETS ART Olfactory and sensory scientist.
- Aroma Jockey, Sencity music event in New Zealand smell, taste, see and feel the musichttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GzjrOhE_ZY
- Raewyn Turner and Dr Richard Newcomb, Art/Science Presentation AUT Creative technologies collaboration and PLUME project, Auckland
- Raewyn Turner and Dr Richard Newcomb, art and science presentation of PLUME to CNZ and MSI Smash Palace Forum, Wellington
- ReSense New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts, Then, Now, When. NZAFA summer art show: The exhibition poses questions about New Zealand identity through its history of art Review: Mark Amery. ReSense NZ Academy Fine Arts, 2011. 36-new-noises-from- the-academy http://www.thebigidea.co.nz/news/columns/mark-amery- visual-arts/2011/mar/82936-new-noises-from-the-academy
- Artist Presentation New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts
- SCANZ 2011: Eco Sapiens International Artists Residency, Selected Creative Residency Project: PLUME.New Plymouth, NZ http://www.intercreate.org/scanz-2011-ecosapiens
- SCANZ 2011: Eco Sapiens Hui/Symposium, Owae Marae, Waitara, Taranaki: Project Presentation PLUME 4000 varieties of Orange
- Raewyn Turner & Brian Harris, PLUME: 4000 Varieties of Orange. Presentation Govett Brewster Gallery, New Plymouth
- Cycle Engines, Imagine: The Night Gallery le petit cinema Film screening series curated & presented by Martin Rumsby in association with the Depot Artspace & Satellite Gallery http://thenightgallerynz.blogspot.com/
- Sweatshirt. Raewyn Turner & Diana Burgoyne, Performance and presentation closing event: LIVE. REPEAT. PLAYBACK, St Paul St Gallery. Aug 27
- ONFILM Sept 2010 NZ Screen Production Industry Magazine. NZ Film Artists in brief-a series: Raewyn Turner http://issuu.com/mediawebnz/docs/emag_onf0910
- Exhibition:ReSense at MIC Toi Rerehiko, Auckland, NZ. Raewyn Turner & Diana Burgoyne, Canada. Review :When art, smell and technology collide Mac Planet - NZ Herald News http://www.nzherald.co.nz/mac-planet/news/article.cfm?c_id=1502175&objectid=10680003
- Screening of Lucky Triangle Stratos TV NZ Documentary, Friday 3rd September
- Raewyn Turner & Dr. Richard Newcomb, Co-host Multisensory Perception online discussion on YASMIN, a network of artists, scientists, engineers, theoreticians and institutions promoting communication and collaboration in art, science and technology around the Mediterranean Rim. The YASMIN mailing list was made possible thanks to ISOC (Internet Society), The Rockefeller Foundation, Leonardo/OLATS, The University of Athens, Artnodes - UOC Barcelona and all the coordinators from the "YASMIN Group". It is co-sponsored by the DigiArts Programme of UNESCO. http://www.media.uoa.gr/yasmin/
- Peer Reviewer ICDVRAT/ArtAbilitation 2010: Helping Through Art, 2010. http://www.icdvrat.reading.ac.uk
- Tasting the Digital, Internettraces: Experimental Integrated Data Work. Performance at Sensory and Consumer Science Laboratory, Plant and Food Research.Collaboration with Mary Griffiths, Head of Media, Adelaide University, Australia.
- Tasting the Digital, Internettraces: Experimental Integrated Data Work. Performance at Original Orifice : Where Art Collides, Auckland.Collaboration with Mary Griffiths, Head of Media, Adelaide University, Australia.
- Fragrant Earth, Environmental Art Installation, Art in The Woolshed 2010, Commissioned by Tawharanui Open Sanctuary
- Re/Sense: Interactive Futures’09: Stereo IF’09:Stereo), Intersections. Digital Studios at Emily Carr University of Art +Design, Vancouver http://www.interactivefutures.ca/
- PLUME Art + Science Collaboration with Richard Newcomb. Crossing Wires: 3 week installation performance, K Rd, Auckland (Smash Palace support) http://www.crossingwireslab.tumblr.com/
- One Minute for One, series of 40 x one minute performances for an audience of one of Pick Up Styx2, Auckland Heritage Festival
- SMASH PALACE Art Science Grant for 1st Stage PLUME Art + Science Collaboration with Richard Newcomb. Smash palace is a partnership between Creative New Zealand and the Ministry of Research, Science & Technology to foster collaborations between New Zealand scientists and artists.
- Re/Sense : MuVi at the Parque de las Ciencias , Third international Congress on Synaesthesia, Science and Art, Granada, Spain 2009 (CNZ travel grant support) http://www.sinestesia2009.info/, http://www.artecitta.es
- Artist Presentation: Re/Sense Raewyn Turner Third International Congress on Synaesthesia, Science andArt, Spain
- Artists Residency Raewyn Turner & Diana Burgoyne. Re/Sense : collaboration with electronics artist Diana Burgoyne Banff Fleck Fellow (Canada), Co-Production with the Banff New Media Institute 2nd Feb
- Music Drawing, The Collected Works of T S Spivett, Larsen,Reiff.
- Metro magazine Article June 2009: Raewyn Turner by Frances Morton , Arts Editor/Staff Writer
- Masters in Art and Design with First Class Honours, AUT, New Zealand
- Kate Edgar Educational Charitable Trust Award
- Lucky "Art in the Biotech Era" ,Experimental Art Foundation, Australia, publicationhttp://www.eaf.asn.au/aitbe_about.html
- Panel and Workshop Luminous Green, FoAM Media Lab, ISEA http://www.luminousgreen.org/
- Presentation Pick Up Styx, in Corporeal Interfaces (Chair: Margaret Tan) the academic conference at ISEA2008 in Singapore, the International Symposium on Electronic Art initiated in 1988, (CNZ travel grant support) http://www.isea2008singapore.org/
- AUT Faculty Design and Creative Technologies Research Excellence Scholarship (Art & Design)
- Perfumes for Fear. The Aotearoa Digital Arts Reader: Solar Circuit Aotearoa New Zealand, Lane, Clothier. Edited by Stella Brannan and Su Ballard, publisher:Aotearoa Digital Arts and Clouds.
- Presentation: ‘Multisensory Concerts’ Scenofest, Prague Quadrennial 07, Czech Republic, 19.6.07
- OBJECTive Art Award Exhibition, Manukau Arts, Auckland
- Smell Research: M Jean Kerléo, L’OSMOTHEQUE Perfume Museum at Vesailles; Firmenich, Geneva; Exhibition and presentation, meeting with Louis Bec, Prague, Luca Turin, London. Trip supported by CNZ and CTL at AUT
- Participated in CIANT and TranSiStor Game Modifications and Machinima Films, 4 – day intensive workshop, Prague, supported by CIANT
- Prague Quadrennial 07 Indications: a translation of music into chocolate, installation, Selected for the New Zealand National Exhibit of Performance Art/Design, 11th Prague Quadrennial of Scenography and Theatre Architecture 2007, Prumyslovy Palace, Prague. A cross disciplinary approach to performance media; lighting, sound, projection, set design, costume, sensory, surface] body and space. Curated by Tracey Collins and Sue Gallagher. http://www.divadlo.cz/art/clanek.asp?id=12356
- Generic Processes Based On Spatial Interpretation of Music Collaboration with Mirjana Devetakovic Radojevic, School of Architecture, University of Belgrade, Generative Art Conference, Department of Architecture and Planning, Politecnico di Milano University published at www.generativeart.com as a PDF file.
- Indications ' and ‘Four Senses Multisensory Concerts’ Second International Congress Synaesthesia, Science & Art, 28thApril-1st May, Granada, Spain. Conference and MuVi http://www.sinestesia2007.info/ video in MuVi http://www.sinestesia2007.info/modules/tinyd1/index.php?id=8
- AUT Faculty Design and Creative Technologies Postgraduate Full Fee scholarship (Art and Design)
- LUCKY products for gamblers, Generative Art Conference, Milan 13-15 December 2006. Department of Architecture and Planning, Politecnico di Milano University http://www.generativeart.com/.
- ‘World Tree ‘ Rencontres Internationales Paris/Berlin, Centre 23rd of November to the 2nd of December 2006 in Paris at Jeu de Paume, the French Cinémathèque, the Théâtre Paris-Villette, the Cinéma l'Entrepôt, the Cinéma du Monde, and in 3 cultural institutes, and Georges Pompidou Center http://www.art-action.org/en_info.htm
- Visiting Lecturer –Multidisciplinary Artist- 5100 3 week intensive Multidisciplinary Course, Unitec
- Presentation Perfumes for Fear: No.1.GREEN , Govett Brewster Gallery, New Plymouth: Scanz Artists Presentations
- SCANZ Solar Circuit, Polar Circuit, International Artists Residency,WITT, New Plymouth, NZ http://www.scanz.net.nz/artists_nz.html
- Sound/Bodies, Presentation Intersensory Translations. Winter Forum Artists Talks, John Cousins, Raewyn Turner, Richard Nunns ‘What Sound Does A Colour Make?’ Govett Brewster Gallery, New Plymouth
- Presentation of work: AUT 3rd year Spatial Design
- Progam Committee Member, Peer review, ArtAbilitation Conference: Helping Through Art, 2006, Performance Arts Centre, Musikhuset Esbjerg, Denmark. http://www.icdvrat.reading.ac.uk
- 4th CVS Summer School on Animal Navigation and Robotics, Centre for Visual Sciences, Research School of Biological Sciences, National Institute of Bioscience, Australian National University, Canberra
- Generic Processes Based on Spatial Interpretation of Music, 2002. Paper presented at: Second International Congress Synaesthesia, Science & Art April 2007 Granada, Spainhttp://www.artecitta.es/II%20Congreso.htm
- Vodafone Digital Art Awards, net art, Worldtree collaboration with Colin Beardon. World Tree and Littoral ( work in progress):http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~cbeardon
- Graphite 2005 and ACM Siggraph Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniqueshttp://www.cs.otago.ac.nz/graphite/
- World Tree 11 International Festival of Electronic Art 404, Rosario, Argentina
- Auckland Arts Festival, Gleem Festival “The sky is Everywhere” triangle of light, perfume and sound, 3 new mini Cooper cars sponsored by BMW, sound by Daniel Newnham, UK
- Screen Innovation grant $25,000 towards creating a 15 minute experimental documentary on Lucky
- World Tree, Time in Jazz “Digital Trance”, Sardinia, Italy, curated by Giannella De Muro, Random Magazine 2005/8/11 http://www.timeinjazz.it/photogallery.php
- World \Tree featured on front page Neural.it http://www.neural.it/nnews/worldtree.htm.
- New World Chaos, Artstation, Auckland ’PeaceLinen’ Practical Activism, drawings and writings on bedlinen on beds of honeycomb
- ENZOLOGY: FRENZY Episode 5, the Story Of Split Enz produced and presented by Jeremy Ansell for Radio New Zealand National. feed://www.radionz.co.nz/podcasts/enzology.rss
- Biotech Art workshop. Adelaide Arts Festival, Symbiotica and Experimental Art Foundation, Australia
- NZ Film Festival, Homegrown Documentary, ‘peoplesheep’
- New Alchemists Recycled Art exhibition, NZ, Australia. ‘unmentionables’ g-string garment made from artifacts from the Great Depression era, with smell element of a copy of a luxury perfume and mold.
- ‘Lucky’ Art, Culture and Biotechnology, publication Experimental Art Foundation
- Digital Artist in Residence, Screen and Media,University of Waikato
- Presentation of Lucky Project, Expanded Documentary Conference, Victoria University,Wellington
- ‘Seventies’ Te Papa Museum of New Zealand, Painting: Split Enz album cover,’Frenzy’
- Four Senses documented in Interactive painting an evolving study to facilitate reduced exclusion from classical music concerts for the deaf community. A Lewis-Brooks. Proc.5th Intl Conf Disability, Virtual Reality & Assoc. Tech., Oxford, UK
- 'On Smell', the third issue of Performance Research, Vol.8, Nos.1-4, Performance Research, Dartington College of Arts, UK, “Example Olfactory Translations and Interpretations” http://www.performance-research.net. This issue of Performance Research explores the body and the senses in performance in four related issues. It is jointly edited by R. Gough, (editor and co-founder of Performance Research) and guest editor J. Christie, Executive Producer, both of the Centre for Performance Research/University of Wales, Aberystwyth, UK.
- Presentation: SPARK FESTIVAL Organised by the Media Arts Creative Industries Research Centre at the Waikato Institute of Technology.
- ‘Dance and the Senses’ Workshop: Unitec Tertiary Dance Festival
- ‘ Multidisciplinary Collaboration’Presentation:: Unitec, 3rd Year Dance
- Short Fuse Screenings, Classic Cinema, Auckland. video : Turn and Run
- Generative Art Conference GA2002 Milan 11-13 December Spatial Forms Generated by Music — The Case Study. Collaboration with Mirjana Devetakovic Radojevic, School of Architecture, University of Belgrade, published at www.generativeart.com as a PDF file
- ST@RT_UP: new interactive media, Te Papa Museum of New Zealand, Wellington, July 2002 -Jan 2003. Video: Cycle Engines, Water
- APRA Audio Visual Commission: Video interpretation of Neil Finn’s song ‘Turn and Run’ which opened APRA Silver Scroll Music Awards, Auckland
- Presentation Lucky -- work in progress DOCUMENTARY MATTERS, Screen Directors Guild, Auckland
- MiC, exhibition, Sonnet 1.6.02 by Raewyn Turner, [phage] by Mary Flanagan (Canada)
- 4th annual VANCOUVER VIDEOPOEM FESTIVAL ‘More Than Words’, Vancouver, Canada November 14 - 16, 2002
- False Emotions, International Group Exhibition at the Kunstbunker Tumulka, Munich, November 2002. Installation: multisensory ‘Breath’, olfaction-only work: ‘LUXURY. False Emotion Documentation: ’http://www.false-emotion.de/FalseEDoku.pdf
- Installation: Out Of The Dark, group exhibition light artists, ASA Gallery, Auckland
- The Banff Centre ‘Up Front and Personal’ Thematic Residency, Media Visual Arts, Banff, Canada. Supported by The Banff Centre, the Tindall Foundation, and Ray Turner
- ‘Four Senses’ Multisensory Concerts multisensory concerts for all abilities with the Aotea Youth Symphony, Touch Compass, Hands signing Choir and Kaitlin Smith, visuals in collaboration with Tony Brooks, Dorothy Winstone theatre, Auckland. Documentation:MultisensorySpaces
- 15th fAf fineArt forum Anniversary Travelling Screening Program, fineArt in motion has been screened at:
- 4th international art-sci symposium, organized by Art & Science Collaborations, Inc. (ASCI)
- e-phos 2002: 4th International Festival of Film & New Media, Greece (25–30 Sept 2002)
- 7th Malaysian Video Awards, Malaysia (5 Sept 2002)
- 3Muestra Internacional de Videoarte Cartagena/Barranquilla, Columbia (16 Aug 2002)
- 6 Festival Internacional de Video/Arte/Electronica 2002, Lima, Peru (13 Jul 2002)
- de Video/Arte/Electronica 2002, Lima, Peru (13 Jul 2002)
- Media Resource Centre, Adelaide, Australia (30 Jul 2002)
- Incubation 2, The 2nd trAce International Conference on Writing and the Internet, Nottingham, UK (15–17 Jul 2002)
- The Substation: A Home for the Arts, Singapore (20 Jun 2002)
- Videotage, Hong Kong (21 Feb 2002)
- 4th Annual Art in General Video Marathon, New York, USA (12 Jan 2002)
- Digital Media Festival 2001, Manila, Philippines (9 Oct 2001)
- Multimedia Art Asia Pacific Festival, Brisbane, Australia (Oct 2001)
- Smell Art. The Holiwater Project. Splore Festival, Waharau, New Zealand
- Board Member, Moving Image Centre MiC, Auckland
- Presentation: “Sonnet 1.602” ‘Documentary Matters’, Screen Directors Guild, Auckland
- Presentation: Multisensory Environments: Unitec, 3rd Year Design students
- Lecture: Coloured Light: Unitec, Dance School, Auckland
- MAAP Festival, Brisbane, Australia
- IOTA Salon, November Screenings, LA, Calif
- VIDEOTREE, Firenze, Italy. Video: Sonnet 1
- HiFi, MiC Gallery, performance collaboration with Mark Harvey, Auckland, artist, and Peter Ford, hypnotist,Auckland
- 15th fAf fineArt forum Anniversary Travelling Screening Program
- ‘Electronic Painting’ Video Space, Metro Arts, Brisbane, Australia
- Solo Exhibition MiC Gallery, Auckland, ‘Water and Breath’ video, sound, smell: Water, Breath, Imagine
- Artists Presentation Ignite 2001 Digital Media Symposium, MiC and The British Council, Auckland
- INTERDIGITATE ‘Untampered Original’ by Morag Brownlie, SCARPA theatre, Auckland
- Short Fuse Screenings, Classic Cinema, Auckland. Video: Cycle Engines
- Presentation: Eden Arts, Maungawhau/Mt Eden Community Arts
- Presentation: Ignite Festival2001, Digital Media Symposium, MiC and The British Council, Auckland, New Zealand
- INTERSENSES AND NEW TECHNOLOGIES: Artists Presentation Video, Light, Sound. “INTERSENS;correpondances & nouvelles technologies”, Laboratoire Musique et Informatique de Marseille, MIM in collaboration with Electronic Music Foundation, New York, Leonardo (MIT Press Journals), and Laboratoire de Neurocybernetique Cellulaire. PDF L’Video, Light, Sound’ http://www.labo-mim.org/pdfintersens/Turner.pdfSupported by Ambassade de France en Nouvelle-Zeland
- MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY ART LOS ANGELES, November. Freewaves 7th Festival of Experimental Media. Los Angeles. Video: Cycle Engines
- Louis Vuitton Ball, Americas Cup Celebration, Olfaction installation
- Design and implementation of multisensory environment of video, light, sound, smell APRA SILVER SCROLL MUSIC AWARDS
- ANAT ALCHEMY: International Masterclass for New Media Artists and Curators, Brisbane Powerhouse, Brisbane, Australia.
- Solo exhibition. PETERS MUIR PETFORD Gallery, Auckland, paintings
- THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS - Digital Creativity at the Turn of the Millenium, Curator: Patrick Lichty: Beachwood Centre for the Arts, Beachwood, Ohio
- DELIGHT light works, Artstation, Auckland
- RENCONTRES DU 13 AVRIL - LIFE IN SPACE, Leonardo/OLATS, OURS Foundation and the International Academy for Astronautics -Paris
- SHOMEIDO GALLERY, Tokyo, Japan
- RADIATOR DIGITAL ARTS FESTIVAL with Active Ingredient, CODA, TRAMPOLINE, Hockley, Nottingham
- REAL vol. 3, Co-exist exhibition Tokyo, Japan
- Conceptual Artist ‘Four Senses’ multisensory series of concerts, Auckland, Aotea Youth Symphony Orchestra, Designed, directed and operated light and smell. Avondale College Theatre, Auckland
- ‘Breath’ collaboration in light and dance, 3-minute TV RAD, Choreographer Mary Jane O’Reilly.
- ‘Romeo And Juliet’, ‘Crater Dance’, season of dance performance
Auckland Ballet, Bruce Mason Theatre, Auckland. Choreographer Mary Jane O’Reilly.
- REAL vol 3, Co-exist exhibition in Tokyo, Japan
- Virtual TART,‘Exhibition 1999’, Keio University, Shonan Fujisawa Campus, Tokyo
- Heads You Win, Luck Fun Gallery, Auckland
- 100 x 100 Exhibition, McPherson Gallery, Auckland
- A5 Minor Masterpieces, Luck Fun Gallery, Auckland
- Solo exhibition Archill Gallery, Auckland, New Zealand
- Group Show, Warwick Henderson Gallery
- Pin Ups. Drawings Gallery
- Molly Morpeth Canaday Art Award, Whakatane
- Norsewear Art Award, Waipukarau
- Artists For Tibet, Luck Fun Gallery, Auckland
- 10 Plus10Celebration Exhibition, Warwick Henderson Gallery
- Multimedia Exhibition, Luck Fun Gallery, Auckland
- Wallace Art Awards, Wallace Trust Gallery, Auckland
- 100 x100 Exhibition, Drawings Gallery, Auckland
- A5 Minor Masterpieces, Luck Fun Gallery, Auckland
- ENZSO. Designed and Directed Lumia for season of perfomances in Australia. Adelaide Symphony \Orchestra,Youth Choir,Eddie Rayner,Split Enz
- Molly Morpeth Canaday Art Award, Whakatane
- Windsor and Newton Art Awards, New Zealand
- North Shore City Art Awards, Auckland
- Birkenhead Art Awards, Auckland
- Women At the Aotea, Auckland
- 100 x 100 Exhibition, Drawings Gallery, Auckland
- Group Show, Warwick Henderson Gallery
- Group Show, Soliloquy,Auckland
- ENZSO, Designed and Directed Lumia for season of performances in N.Z. with New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, Youth Choir, Eddie Rayner, Split Enz, Sam Hunt.
- Solo exhibition Gregory Flint Gallery, Auckland, New Zealand
- Solo exhibition Test Strip, Auckland, New Zealand
- Album Cover Painting, ‘Horse’, Eddie Rayner
- The Ida Eise Award, ASA Gallery, Auckland
- Melbourne Contemporary Art, Melbourne, Australia
- Third International Art Fair, Melbourne
- Celebrating Ten Years of Independent Artists, Roar, Melbourne
- Homage To Spain, Melbourne Contemporary Art Gallery, Melbourne Art Festival
- Bad Mothers, Tin Sheds, The University of Sydney, NSW
- Elam Group Show, Artis Gallery, Auckland, New Zealand
- The Twelve Days Of Christmas, Austral. Centre For Contemporary Art, Melbourne
- Heidelburg and Heritage, 9”x5” exhibition, Linden Gallery, St. Kilda, Melbourne.
- Watermarks, Landmarks, Centre Gallery, Queensland, Australia
- Shire of Eltham Art Awards, Eltham City Art Gallery, Melbourne
- Bad Mothers, Reconnaissance, Melbourne
- Bad Mothers, Founding Member, Melbourne, Australia.
- Solo exhibition Niagara Galleries, Melbourne, Australia
- The Roar Portrait Show, Roar Studios, Melbourne
- Caltex Art Awards, New Zealand
- National Women’s Art Award, The Centre Gallery, Queensland
- Summer Salon, Roar 11, Melbourne
- Raucous, Roar Studios, Melbourne Spoleto Fringe Festival
- Artist In The Community, full time employment for the Community Education Advisory Committee, which formed the ACKDA Program (Arts In The Community in the Kew, Deepdene area), Melbourne.
- Murals: Glendonald School For Deaf Children, Kew.
Sacred Heart Primary School, Kew, Melbourne.
- ‘Danceworks at The Church’, The Australian Contemporary Theatre, Melbourne. Lighting Designer and Mechanist, Director Nannette Hassle
- Lighting Designer, Lighting Director ‘Odyssey Of A Prostitute’ written by Jack Hibberd, at the Australian Contemporary Theatre. the Church., Directed by John Ellis
- Designed and painted sets, Designed and Directed Lighting.Vince Jones And Quintet Jazz Performance. The Melbourne Concert Hall, Victorian Arts Centre, Melbourne
- Consultant Designer-stage sets and lighting:
Mental As Anything, contemporary music performance
Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, Melbourne Concert Hall
‘Ticks In Hell’, Universal Theatre, Melbourne
- ‘Black and White Closet Series’ La Mama, Melbourne, theatre set and Lighting Designer, and Mechanist for season of plays, Directed by Martyn Christmas.
- ‘Stuck’ Book cover painting, A. Turner ( no relation), Published by Penguin Books
- Paintings for film sets, Melbourne, Australia.
- On The Road Diary, Rip It Up, September, Raewyn Turner
- Essay, Raewyn Turner, Stranger Than Fiction, Editor Mike Chunn, New Zealand
- Women In Art, Auckland, New Zealand
- Visual Dimension. Sonic Magazine, Australia. Raewyn Turner
- Solo exhibition Denis Cohn Gallery, Auckland, new Zealand
- Solo exhibition Denis Cohn Gallery, Auckland, New Zealand
- Designed and Directed Lights for International and Local artists- three day, contemporary music festival
Sweetwaters Music Festival, N.Z.
- Sydney Morning Herald Art Awards, Sydney, Australia
- Album Cover Painting, ‘Frenzy’, Split Enz
- Hertford Society of Arts, England
- National Bank Art Awards, New Zealand
- Stage Lighting, Stage Set Designer, Lighting Director., Lighting Operator for Split Enz. Toured extensively Australia, New Zealand, Britain, Europe, USA, Canada
Awarded Gold and Platinum albums A&m Records
Live Performances Recordings: television, films, video, including
Sight and Sound, BBC, London
Live In Concert, MTV Television, Hamilton, Canada
Nightmoves-Split Enz, Channel 7, Melbourne, Australia
Split Enz Live at The Regent, 1982, Sydney, Australia
- ASA Portrait Competition award, Auckland Society of Arts
- Arts Council; Grant, Queen Elizabeth 11, Arts Council, New Zealand
- Selected to attend First national Bank Art Workshop, Wellington, New Zealand
- Department of Education Art Workshop Touring Exhibition.